“Targeted innovation requires a “single point of truth”. A single source of information to guide people and to make it easy for them to find what’s going on.”
In this episode, we welcome Andrew Willett, Senior Expert at Toyota Motor Europe.
Together with Andrew, we explore “The Toyota Way” – a set of principles and behaviors that underlie the Toyota Motor Corporation’s managerial approach. We also take a digression into Toyota’s digital innovation platform, which not only positively impacts the cost and environmental footprint of the innovation activities, but also serves as a valuable interface for the employees involved.
Curious for more? Then tune in!
The episode at a glance:
- Who is Andrew? (00:01:05)
- Andrew, please complete the 3 sentence starters… (00:02:18)
- Innovating the Toyota Way
- What is the Toyota way? (00:03:51)
- What is Toyota’s view and approach of innovation? (00:05:42)
- How does Toyota blend new ways and impulses coming from outside with the traditional Toyota business practices? (00:06:55)
- Talking about future research: While the Toyota way starts with identifying a gap, that gap might be not so evident when conducting future research in particular. How to bridge this? (00:10:29)
- The “Either-Or” game (00:14:04)
- One Digital Platform
- How did this opportunity emerge to put a new innovation system in place that brings together all the manufacturing centers? (00:18:00)
- Why is it important to have a single point of truth (the platform)? (00:20:57)
- What were the most important selection criteria for you? (00:22:06)
- How did you facilitate and manage that change process? (00:23:20)
- In what way does innovation software deliver tangible improvements and profitability, and what are your metrics of success? (00:25:23)
- How does Toyota manage the balancing act between involving employees in the company and maintaining an appropriate level of confidentiality of data and information? (00:30:34)
- What’s the engagement plan of including employees in this change process? (00:33:21)
- Andrew’s 3 key actionable recommendations to take away from this episode (00:35:40)
- A look ahead: Andrew’s next steps in the Toyota journey? (00:37:14)
- Looking back. Andrew’s Innovation Rockstar moment (00:38:35)
If you would like to give us feedback on this episode or know someone who also has some thrilling stories or insights to share from the world of corporate innovation (maybe yourself?), just shoot us a note at email@example.com.
LISTEN – LIKE – SHARE
You like our show? Then leave us a rating or a review on Spotify or Apple Podcast and share it with colleagues and friends and whomever!
“Targeted innovation requires a “single point of truth”. A single source of information to guide people and to make it easy for them to find what’s going on.” In this episode, we welcome Andrew Willett, Senior Expert at Toyota Motor Europe. Together with Andrew, we explore “The Toyota Way” – […]
“The key to an innovation mindset is in the culture we call a growth mindset. At Microsoft, we elevate learning, and kind of learn, above everything that we do.” In this episode, we welcome Nicholas McQuire, Director of Growth Innovation and Strategy, Strategic Missions and Technologies at Microsoft. His passion: […]
“Apart from creating a win-win situation, there’s a great benefit in partnering with other firms to really achieve the best value creation and added value for our customers.” In this episode, we welcome Dr. Eva Mitterreiter, Head of New Business Building & Innovation, Consulting at Bosch, and Jennifer Graf, Partner […]
“There is an enormous change going on forcing us to look for new business models without losing sight of the core business, because that’s where the money is made.” In this episode, we welcome Manuel Krauß, Senior Consultant Business Model Innovation at Bosch Innovation Consulting. His mission: Supporting internal and […]
“Logistics is sexy. It’s a cool industry to work in. The same goes for innovation – it’s also very sexy. You just have to find a way to make it happen. Don’t give up. It sometimes takes some time and patience.” In this episode, we are joined by Dr. Kerstin […]
“Innovation is a continuous process. It’s not something you take care of when you have a spare moment. It has to be part of your culture, it has to be deeply rooted.” Today, on our Innovation Rockstar stage: Sanjeev Mervana, Vice President of Product Management, Emerging Technologies & Incubation (ET&I) […]
“Intrapreneurship should, above all, help encourage people to try new things by both, motivating people and providing a platform for them to do so.” Today we welcome Dr. Ina Nordsiek, Director Intrapreneurship at the German domestic appliance manufacturer Miele. When she joined the company in 2020, Ina’s mission was to […]
“When people communicate and collaborate with each other, that’s when they become empowered and get a voice. And that’s when innovation happens.” In this episode, we are joined by the award-winning global technology executive and best-selling author Alex Goryachev. With a resume that reads like a short history of technological […]
“In my work, I prefer to focus on asking better questions rather than providing straight answers.” This episode takes us down under, where we welcome Finnish-born Sami Mäkeläinen. In his role as Head of Strategic Foresight at Telstra, Australia’s largest telecommunications company, Sami tries to ensure – as he says […]